DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
Office of the Secretary
Education Impact Analysis Pursuant To 14 Del.C. Section 122(d)
775 New Teacher Hiring Date Reporting
A. Type of Regulatory Action Required
Amendment to Existing Regulation
B. Synopsis of Subject Matter of the Regulation
The Acting Secretary of Education intends to amend 14 DE Admin. Code 775 New Teacher Hiring Date Reporting. This regulation is being amended to align teacher hiring date collection with annual reporting done within the Teacher and Leader Effectiveness branch of the Department of Education and as required by 14 Del. Code §1725.
Persons wishing to present their views regarding this matter may do so in writing by the close of business on or before December 7, 2015 to Tina Shockley, Education Associate, Department of Education, Regulatory Review, at 401 Federal Street, Suite 2, Dover, Delaware 19901. A copy of this regulation may be viewed online at the Register of Regulations website, , or obtained at the Department of Education, Finance Office located at the address listed above.
C. Impact Criteria
1. Will the amended regulation help improve student achievement as measured against state achievement standards? The amended regulation does not address student achievement as measured against state achievement standards.
2. Will the amended regulation help ensure that all students receive an equitable education? The amended regulation is intended to continue to help ensure all students receive an equitable education.
3. Will the amended regulation help to ensure that all students’ health and safety are adequately protected? The amendments do not address students’ health and safety.
4. Will the amended regulation help to ensure that all students’ legal rights are respected? The amended regulation continues to help ensure that all student’s legal rights are respected.
5. Will the amended regulation preserve the necessary authority and flexibility of decision making at the local board and school level? The amended regulation does not change the decision making at the local board and school level.
6. Will the amended regulation place unnecessary reporting or administrative requirements or mandates upon decision makers at the local board and school levels? The amended regulation does not place any unnecessary reporting or administrative requirements on decision makers.
7. Will the decision making authority and accountability for addressing the subject to be regulated be placed in the same entity? The decision making authority and accountability for addressing the subject to be regulated does not change because of the amendment.
8. Will the amended regulation be consistent with and not an impediment to the implementation of other state educational policies, in particular to state educational policies addressing achievement in the core academic subjects of mathematics, science, language arts and social studies? The amendment is consistent with and not an impediment to the implementation of other state educational policies.
9. Is there a less burdensome method for addressing the purpose of the regulation? There is not a less burdensome method for addressing the purpose of the regulation.
10. What is the cost to the State and to the local school boards of compliance with the regulation? There is no expected cost to implementing this amended regulation.
775 New Teacher Hiring Date Reporting
The purpose of this regulation is to outline the criteria and process related to new teacher hiring data collection and reporting by school districts as required by 14 Del.C. §1725 and align such with annual reporting done within the Teacher and Leader Effectiveness Branch of the Department.
"Contract Offer Date" shall mean the date an authorized agent or representative of the district notifies the successful candidate of the intent to hire.
"Critical Curricular Area" shall mean an area identified as a critical area by the Department of Education and approved by the State Board of Education.
"District" shall mean a reorganized school district or vocational technical school district established pursuant to Chapter 10 of Title 14 of the Delaware Code.
"Department" means the Delaware Department of Education.
"New Teacher Hiring Date" shall mean, for purposes of this regulation, the Contract Offer Date as defined herein.
"Position Availability Date" shall mean the date the district Human Resources Office knows the available position is released for a new full-time teacher hire.
"Position Title" shall mean the appropriate teaching position as offered to the teacher from the list of teacher position titles as provided in the Delaware Educator Data System (DEEDs).
"Position Type" shall mean the appropriate instructional level of the teacher or whether the teacher is in a critical curricular area.
On or before December 1st of each year, each District local education agency shall annually submit an New Teacher Hiring Date Report Educator Hiring Practices and Needs Report to the Department on in a format approved by the Department that includes, but is not limited to, Contract Offer Date, Position Availability Date, and Position Title number of positions available and filled, information on hard-to-staff positions, information on recruitment and selection processes, and information on staffing practices during the most recent hiring season(s). The Department may also require local educational agencies to enter such information on an ongoing basis into an electronic statewide information system. The report Department shall reflect the district new teacher hiring activity from the "estimated unit count" as that term is defined pursuant to 14 Del.C. §1704 until November 15th of that same calendar year review and provide information on educator hiring practices and needs in the annual Delaware Talent Practices Report, to be provided no later than March 31st of the following year.