DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
Office of the Secretary
Education Impact Analysis Pursuant To 14 Del.C. Section 122(d)
932 Military-Connected Youth
A. TYPE OF REGULATORY ACTION REQUIRED
Amendment to Existing Regulation
B. SYNOPSIS OF SUBJECT MATTER OF THE REGULATION
The Secretary of Education seeks the consent of the State Board of Education to amend 14 DE Admin. Code 932 Military-Connected Youth. This regulation is being amended to expand and clarify the meaning of "Recently Retired" to include those individuals identified as a disabled veteran and those killed in action. Specifically, this amendment is in response to inquiries received from those completing the form during the first year of implementation.
Persons wishing to present their views regarding this matter may do so in writing by the close of business on or before April 7, 2017 to Tina Shockley, Education Associate, Department of Education, Regulatory Review, at 401 Federal Street, Suite 2, Dover, Delaware 19901. A copy of this regulation may be viewed online at the Register of Regulation's website, http://regulations.delaware.gov/services/current_issue.shtml, or obtained at the Department of Education, Finance Office located at the address listed above.
C. IMPACT CRITERIA
1. Will the amended regulation help improve student achievement as measured against state achievement standards? The amended regulation is intended to help improve student achievement as measured against state achievement standards by accurately identifying military-connected students.
2. Will the amended regulation help ensure that all students receive an equitable education? The amended regulation is intended to continue to help ensure all students receive an equitable education.
3. Will the amended regulation help to ensure that all students' health and safety are adequately protected? The amendment helps to ensure that students' health and safety are adequately protected.
4. Will the amended regulation help to ensure that all students' legal rights are respected? The amended regulation continues to help ensure that all student's legal rights are respected.
5. Will the amended regulation preserve the necessary authority and flexibility of decision making at the local board and school level? The amended regulation does not change the decision making at the local board and school level.
6. Will the amended regulation place unnecessary reporting or administrative requirements or mandates upon decision makers at the local board and school levels? The amended regulation does not place any unnecessary reporting or administrative requirements on decision makers.
7. Will the decision making authority and accountability for addressing the subject to be regulated be placed in the same entity? The decision making authority and accountability for addressing the subject to be regulated does not change because of the amendment.
8. Will the amended regulation be consistent with and not an impediment to the implementation of other state educational policies, in particular to state educational policies addressing achievement in the core academic subjects of mathematics, science, language arts and social studies? The amendment is consistent with and not an impediment to the implementation of other state educational policies.
9. Is there a less burdensome method for addressing the purpose of the regulation? There is not a less burdensome method for addressing the purpose of the regulation.
10. What is the cost to the State and to the local school boards of compliance with the regulation? There is no expected cost to implementing this amended regulation.
932 Military-Connected Youth
This regulation outlines the process for districts and charter schools to annually identify enrolled students who are "military-connected youth." This regulation is established pursuant to 14 Del.C. Ch. 1, §122(b)(28).
"Military-Connected Youth" means any student having an immediate family member, including a parent, step-parent, sibling or any other person residing in the same household, who is on active duty, serving in the reserve component, or recently retired from a branch of the United States armed forces. Such branches consist of United States Army, United States Air Force, United States Marine Corps, United States Navy, National Guard, United States Coast Guard, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration or the United States Public Health Service.
"Recently Retired" for the purposes of this regulation, means having left military service within 18 months prior to September 30 of the current school year; identified as a disabled veteran; or killed in action.
3.1 Each district and charter school shall include a military-connected identifier as part of its annual enrollment process and student information update.
3.2 Each district and charter school shall identify which school personnel have access to the military-connected identifier.
4.1 The identification of a military-connected youth shall not be used for purposes of determining school achievement, growth or performance.
4.2 The identification of a military-connected youth is not a public record under Delaware's Freedom of Information Act or any other law, and shall not be made public by any person, except as permitted under the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.