ABOUT LEGISLATIVE HALL
Legislative Hall is a Georgian Revival colonial structure of handmade brick and it has an 18th century style interior. It was designed by Architect E. William Martin under the direction of the State Buildings and Grounds Commission created by Governor Buck in 1931. The commission was also instructed to acquire all the lands now known as the ‘Capital Square Complex’.
The building was expanded by the addition of North and South wings during the period 1965 - 1970 to give each legislator an office in addition to their desk in their chamber. George Fletcher Bennet, of Dover, was the architect.
The dedication of Legislative Hall took place in 1933. Legislative Hall replaced the State House which is located opposite Legislative Hall on the mall. Legislative Hall today provides formal chambers for the Senate and House of Representatives as well as the General Assembly’s nonpartisan staff agencies: The Division of Research and the Office of the Controller General. The Governor and Lt. Governor also have offices in the the building for their use while the General Assembly is in session.
Two additional wings were added on to the east side of the building in 1994. They were designed by The Architects Studio, a Wilmington based firm. The new addition provides more office space for legislators and their staff as well as hearing caucus rooms.
The entire interior of Legislative Hall was renovated in three phases during the summers of 1995, 1996 and 1997. The renovations were designed by the Wilmington architectural firm Moeckel, Carbonell Assoc., Inc. They include the refurbishment of both chambers, the lobby, cafeteria and many offices for legislators and staff.