Skip to Page Content  |  Text OnlyGovernor | General Assembly | Courts | Elected Officials | State Agencies
 Photo: Featured Delaware Photo
 Phone Numbers Mobile Help Size Print Email

Delaware General AssemblyDelaware RegulationsMonthly Register of RegulationsApril 2013

Table of Contents Previous Next

Authenticated PDF Version

(17 Del.C. §§132, 143)
The Mission of the State of Delaware's Department of Transportation is to provide a safe, efficient, and environmentally sensitive transportation network that offers a variety of convenient, and cost-effective choices for the movement of people and goods excellence in transportation; every trip, every mode, every dollar, and everyone.
1.2.1 The Delaware Code provides the Department with the authority and responsibility to regulate the use of all utilities on state highway rights-of-way. For the benefit of the reader, this manual reviews applicable portions of Delaware law.
1.2.3 The "Delaware State Highway Department" was established into law on April 2, 1917. Chapter 166 of the 1935 Code amended the original Act that created the Highway Department. Additional amendments, including Title 17 of Delaware Code, were enacted by the Legislature on February 11, 1953, and approved by the governor on February 12, 1953, including all prior amendments. This act provides authorization for the State to participate in the acquisition of rights-of-way, the placement of new utilities, and the adjustment of existing utilities.
1.2.4 Title 26 of the Delaware Code (1953) provides authorization for the State to control new installations of pipes, conduits, and wires above or beneath the public roads.
1.2.5 Section 143, Title 17, Delaware Code, established by law on January 16, 1962, made the State responsible for the entire cost of altering or relocating utilities that are within public highway rights-of-way-when the utility facilities are owned or operated by a municipality, governmental body, or subdivision of the State-as necessitated by highway construction, reconstruction, relocation, repair, or maintenance.
1.2.6 Section 132, Title 17, Delaware Code (1966) provides for the State to reimburse the owner for the expense of relocating public utility facilities necessitated by any project where the State is to be reimbursed at least 90% of the project cost from federal funds or by the federal government or any agency thereof. Such expense is to be the amount paid by the owner that is properly attributable to the relocation, after deducting therefrom any increase in the value of the new facilities and any salvage value derived from the old facilities.
1.2.7 Section 143, Title 17, Delaware Code, amended on June 29, 2004, allows the Department of Transportation flexibility to negotiate alteration or relocation agreements with public utilities in order to improve efficiency and fairness. While not required to do so, the Department may choose to enter into an agreement with a public utility for this purpose.
1.2.9 Adherence to the policies, practices and procedures of the Department of Transportation and, more specifically, to the requirements described in the Utilities Manual must shall be undertaken with full knowledge of, and compliance with, Chapter 8, Title 26, of the Delaware Code entitled "Underground Utility Damage Prevention and Safety." The Department's commitment to provide for the protection of public health and safety is of major importance and must be maintained at all times.
The following words and terms, when used in this regulation, shall have the following meaning unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
“AASHTO”. American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. AASHTO is a nonprofit, nonpartisan association representing highway and transportation departments in the 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. It represents all five transportation modes: air, highways, public transportation, rail and water. Its primary goal is to foster the development, operation and maintenance of an integrated national transportation system.
“Active federal-aid highway projects” means projects for which any phase of development has been programmed for federal aid highway funds and the State controls the highway rights of way. A project will be considered active until the date of its final acceptance by the Federal Highway Administration and thereafter will be considered complete.
Adjustment” means the relocation, removal, replacement, abandonment, etc., of existing utility facilities as necessitated by a highway construction project.
Agreement” means a legal instrument entered into by the Department and a utility on a highway construction project which outlines the legal and financial responsibilities of both parties.
Arterial roadway” means the functional classification for partial-access-control roads that serve to distribute traffic and are moderate in speed. Arterials carry traffic between collector roads and freeways. The DelDOT highway system map designates which roadways are arterials.
Authorization” means permission by the applicable District Engineer, Construction Region Engineer or Utilities Engineer for the utility to proceed with any phase of a project.
Backfill” means material used to replace or the act of replacing material removed during construction; also may denote material placed or the act of placing material adjacent to structures.
Bar chart” means a schedule showing the proposed start and end dates for various utility activities on a complex singular contract or project. DelDOT prepares the Bar Chart based upon the Utility Statements submitted by the utilities.
Betterment” means any upgrade of the facility being relocated made solely for the benefit of and at the election of the utility, not attributable to highway construction, as determined by the Utilities Engineer.
“Boring” means the operation by which large carriers or casings are jacked through oversize bores. The bores are carved progressively ahead of the leading edge of the advancing pipe as soil is mucked back through the pipe.
Casing” means a larger pipe, conduit, or duct enclosing a carrier. Casings are installed in open cuts or by boring or driving. They are usually sealed at the ends and sometimes vented when the pipelines carry lighter-than-air gases. Casings are usually required to avoid the need for trenching through existing pavements, to prevent the destruction of the roadway due to leakage of liquids under pressure, or to prevent or contain leaking under pressure.
“Chief Engineer”: Shall be a civil engineer registered or eligible for registration as such in Delaware and qualified to design as well as direct road engineering work as specified in the Delaware Code.
Clear Roadside Policy” means the Department's policy of providing a clear recovery area (clear zone so as to increase safety, improve traffic operations, and enhance the aesthetic quality of highways by designing, constructing, and maintaining highway roadsides as wide, flat, and with no abrupt changes in slope as practical and as free as practical from natural or manufactured hazards such as trees, drainage structures, non-yielding sign supports, highway lighting supports, utility poles, and other ground-mounted structures. The policy addresses the removal of roadside obstacles that are likely to be associated with accident or injury to highway users. However, when such obstacles are essential, the policy provides for appropriate countermeasures to reduce hazards. Countermeasures include placing utility facilities at locations that shield the hazard from out-of-control vehicles by using breakaway features, impact attenuation devices, or shielding. Full consideration is to be given to sound engineering principles and economic factors in all cases. See the DelDOT Road Design Manual and the AASHTO Roadside Design Guide for more details.
Clear zone” means the total roadside border area, starting at the edge of the traveled way, available for safe use by errant vehicles. This area may consist of a shoulder, a recoverable slope, a non-recoverable slope, and/or a clear run-out area clear of fixed or non-traversable objects. The purpose is to provide errant vehicles a reasonable opportunity to stop safely or otherwise regain control of the vehicle. The desired width is dependent upon the traffic volumes and speeds, and on the roadside geometry. See the DelDOT Road Design Manual and the AASHTO Roadside Design Guide for calculation of Clear Zone widths.
Code of Federal Regulations, Title 23, Part 645” means the current regulations on utility relocations. Subpart "A" defines policy, procedure, and cost development for utility relocation, adjustments, and reimbursement. Subpart "B" defines policy and procedure for accommodating utility facilities on federal-aid highways.
Collector roadway” means the functional classification for partial-access-control roads. Provides a less highly developed level of service at a lower speed for shorter distances by collecting traffic from local roads and connecting them with arterials. The DelDOT highway system map designates which roadways are collectors.
Conduit” means an enclosed tubular casing, singular or multiple, for the protection of wires, cables, or lines, usually jacketed and often extended from manhole to manhole.
Conflict” Exists when means a utility is in the way of highway construction or maintenance operations and needs adjustment or relocation. The presence of utilities in the right of way does not necessarily constitute a conflict.
“Coordination meeting” means periodic meeting attended by representatives of utilities, for the purpose of informing those utilities of current policy and procedures and for discussing current topics of general interest.
Construction” means the actual building and all related work, including relocation or adjustments, incidental to the construction or reconstruction of a highway project-except for preliminary engineering, Subsurface Utility Engineering, test holes, or rights of way work which is programmed and authorized as a separate phase of work.
Construction plans” means the large scale-usually 1 inch = 30 feet-plan sheets which show the highway project in detail.
“Consultant”: means a registered professional engineer engaged by the Department of Transportation, State of Delaware, or a utility, to develop plans, specifications, and estimates for the Department or for a utility.
“Control of access” means the condition where the right of owners or occupants of abutting land or other persons to access, light, air, or view in connection with a highway is fully or partially controlled by public authority.
“Corner cut (daylight corner)” means a right-of-way area at an intersection reserved for sight clearance and/or turning clearance, usually by a diagonal right-of-way line.
Cost of relocation” means the entire amount paid by or on behalf of the utility properly attributable to the relocation after deducting from that amount any increase in value of the new facility, and any salvage derived from the old facility.
Cost of removal” means the amount expended to remove utility property including the cost of demolishing, dismantling, removing, transporting, or otherwise disposing of utility property and of cleaning up to leave the site in a neat and presentable condition.
Cost of replacement” means the remaining portion of the total cost of the relocation of a facility after deducting therefrom the cost of betterment, credit for salvage, and expired service life credit.
Cost of right-of-way” means the cost of land and interests to the acquisition of land or interest in land required for the relocation of the utility facility.
“Cost of salvage” means the amount expended to restore salvaged utility property to usable condition after its removal.
Costs of overhead or indirect” means those costs, which are not readily identifiable with one specific task, job, or work order. Such costs may include indirect labor, social security taxes, insurance, stores expense, and general office expenses. Costs of this nature generally are distributed or allocated to the applicable job or work orders, other accounts and other functions to which they relate. Distribution and allocation is made on a uniform basis which is reasonable, equitable, and in accordance with generally accepted cost accounting practices.
Cover” means depth to top of pipe, conduit, casing, cable or similar line or utility tunnel below the earth or roadway surface. It is normally referenced from the bottom of the highway ditch.
“Department” means State of Delaware’s Department of Transportation, State of Delaware (DelDOT).
Designation” means the process of using a surface geophysical method or methods to interpret the presence of a subsurface utility and to mark its approximate horizontal position (its designation) on the ground surface.
Designer” means the Department employee engaged in the design of a highway project, or the outside engineering consulting firm hired by the Department for that purpose.
Direct burial” means installing a utility underground without encasement.
District engineer, district engineer of north, canal, central, or south district” means the Engineer that is the highest authority in a district.
District Public Works section” means the unit within each district that is responsible for utility operations under the direction of the District Engineer.
Duct” means an enclosed tubular casing for protecting wires, lines, or cables, often flexible or semi-rigid.
Eligibility” means the costs incurred on a project or a specific phase of a project that, when authorized, may be reimbursable provided they are legally qualified under the applicable State Highway Laws.
Emergency” means a situation where the safety of the traveling public or general public, or the structural integrity of the highway facility, is placed in immediate danger (as defined in the Delaware Code, Title 26, Chapter 8, the "Miss Utility Law").
Encasement” means a structural element that surrounds a carrier or casing.
Expired service life credit” means in any instance where the relocation involves the substitution of a replacement facility for an existing facility, a determination shall be made by the Department whether a credit is due to the project for the value of the expired service life of the facility being replaced. Such credit shall take into account the effect of such factors as wear and tear, action of the elements, and functional or economic obsolescence of the existing facility, not restored by maintenance during the years prior to the relocation.
Expressway” means a divided arterial highway for through traffic with full or partial control of access and generally with grade separations at major intersections. (See "Freeway.")
Federal-aid coordinator” means the DelDOT personnel who maintains liaison with the Federal Highway Administration, insofar as fiscal matters are concerned, if federal monies are involved in the utility adjustment.
Federal-aid highway projects” means active or completed projects administered by or through DelDOT, involving the use of federal aid highway funds for the development, acquisition of right of way, construction, or improvement of the highway or related facilities, including highway beautification projects under 23 U.S.C. 319, Landscaping and Scenic Enhancement.
Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)” means highway agency of the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Final billing” means the detailed summary of the actual costs incurred by the utility on their relocation including the documentation necessary to verify the amounts expended.
Fixed or non-traversable objects” means existing or planned objects, whether natural or manufactured, such as trees, drainage structures, non-yielding sign or lighting structures, drainage ditches, retaining walls, rock outcroppings, utility facilities, etc.
"Flow line" means the bottom elevation of an open channel or closed conduit.
Force account basis” means utility work performed by the utility's own forces with reimbursement at actual cost.
Freeway” an expressway (divided arterial highway) means a divided highway with full control of access.
Highway, street or road” means any public way for vehicular travel, including the entire area within the rights of way and related facilities.
Highway construction project” means the construction, reconstruction, widening, or resurfacing of a State Highway, within the existing legal right of way or within a new required right of way, by contract or by Department forces or agent of the Department.
Highway right-of-way” means real property or interests therein, acquired, dedicated, or reserved for the construction, operation, and maintenance of a highway. Lands acquired under Section 319(b), Title 23, U.S.C. (Scenic strips 1965 Highway Beautification Act) shall be considered to be under the jurisdiction of the Department.
“Horizontal Clearance”: As stated in the DelDOT Road Design Manual; the lateral distance from edge of traveled way to a roadside feature or object for a roadway with barrier curb. Roadways having curbed sections should be provided with a minimum horizontal clearance of 1.5 feet beyond the face of curb, with wider offsets (if possible to the full clear zone width) provided where practical since most types of curbs provide little help in redirecting an errant vehicle. Please see the DelDOT Road Design Manual and the AASHTO Green Book for more information regarding horizontal clearance.
Initial payment” means first relocation payment to the utility by the Department under the terms of a reimbursement agreement.
Interim payment (periodic billing)” means reimbursement by the Department to the utility, either in specified minimum amounts or definite billing periods, as invoices for completed relocation work are submitted, whenever provided for in the reimbursement agreement.
Jacking” means the pushing of a sleeve or casing pipe under a highway to make an underground utility crossing without disturbing the roadbed by open trenching.
"Lateral offset" means the distance from the edge of traveled way, shoulder, or other designated point to the front face of a vertical roadside element. Lateral offset should not be confused with clear zone.
Manhole (utility access hole”) means an opening in an underground system which workers may enter for the purpose of making installations, removals, inspections, repairs, connections, and tests.
Master franchise” means the legal document that authorizes a regulated Public Utility to place its facilities within State rights of way, without any vested interest therein, under the provisions of Delaware Code 1953, Title 17, and supplements thereto.
Median” means the portion of a divided highway separating the traveled ways for traffic in opposite directions.
Non-participating” means whenever utility relocations are not programmed with FHWA for reimbursement to the Department from federal funds, they are called "non-participating." Project design, right-of-way acquisition, and construction can be "participating," while utility relocations can be "non-participating." Particular utility relocations may be handled as "non-participating" on a federal-aid project, even when other utility relocation work on the same project is programmed as "participating."
Offset” means
A. “Surveying offset” - A distance measured at right angles from the centerline of a highway to a specific point.
B. “Roadway offset” - A measured distance along the centerline of a highway in feet from an established segment.
Participating” Refers to means utility adjustments or relocations performed after work has been programmed with and authorized by FHWA. Such funds are requested by the State at the pro-rata share applicable for the project where FHWA requirements are met by the Department and the utility.
Pipe” means a tubular product made as a production item for sale as such. Cylinders formed from plate material in the course of the fabrication of auxiliary equipment are not pipe as defined here.
Flexible pipe” - A plastic, fiberglass, or metallic pipe having large ratio of diameter to wall thickness, which can be deformed without undue stress is designed for a diametric deflection of up to five percent. The pipe can be designed for a diametric deflection of up to seven point five percent with an engineering study confirming the stability and structural soundness of pipe.
Rigid pipe” - Pipe designed for diametric deflection of less than one percent.
Semi-rigid pipe” - Pipe designed to tolerate from one percent to three percent diametric deflection.
Plan sheet index” means the small-scale highway plan sheet, usually sheet number two, showing the entire project.
“Preliminary engineering (PE) estimate” means an estimate of the preliminary engineering required to design the alteration, adjustments and/or relocation.
Preliminary engineering (PE”) means the making of surveys, the preparation of utility plans, specifications, estimates (PS&E) and other related preparatory work in advance of construction operations.
Prior rights”: Exist means when a utility is determined to have legally occupied a public right of way prior to the time such right of way was conveyed to or acquired by the State of Delaware's Department of Transportation.
Private lines” means privately owned facilities that convey or transmit utility commodities devoted exclusively to private use.
Private right-of-way” means lands in which utilities have a real property interest for the purpose of distributing or transmitting service. This term, when used for determining eligibility for reimbursement, shall mean any area outside of a public right of way, except lands owned by the State that are occupied by right of a license.
Private right-of-way status” means facilities located within the right of way regarded by the Department as having private rights for the purpose of determining liability for relocation costs in the event of further relocation. In this situation, the Department is responsible for paying relocation costs or for providing substitute right of way.
Project manager” means the DelDOT staff member responsible and accountable for satisfactory completion of the construction project.
Prorated shares” means the percentages of financial responsibility of the utility and the Department on a utility relocation necessitated by a highway construction project. Generally, proration is based on the original location of utility facilities.
PS&E”: Stands for means "plans, specifications, and estimates."
Public right-of-way” means the legal right of way of any public highway, street, road, or alley that is under the jurisdiction of the Department or any municipality or political subdivision. Law also designates certain navigable waterways as public rights of way.
Public utility” means a utility as defined in 26 Del.C. §102(2) and (4) per the Delaware Code §143, Title 17. A private business organization, subject to governmental regulation, that provides an essential commodity or service, such as water, gas, electricity, wastewater, or telecommunications, to the public.
“Real property interest document” means evidence of the utility's title to a compensable real property interest.
Reimburse and participate (or their derivatives)” Shall means that State funds may be used to repay the utility to the extent provided by law.
Relocation” means the adjustment of utility facilities required by the highway project. It includes removing and reinstalling the facility, including necessary temporary facilities, acquiring necessary right-of-way on the new location, moving, rearranging or changing the type of existing facilities and taking any necessary safety and protective measures. It shall also mean constructing a replacement facility that is both functionally equivalent to the existing facility and necessary for continuous operation of the utility service, the project economy, or sequence of highway construction.
Replacement racility” means the replacement of the function of a facility rather than installing a replica facility.
Required right-of-way” means private property to be acquired by the Department for highway purposes by amicable settlement or by Eminent Domain proceedings.
Right-of-way” means real property, or interests therein, acquired, dedicated, or reserved for the construction, operation, and maintenance of a highway, road, or street.
Right-of-way certificate” means a contract document that certifies that the right of way necessary to construct the project is available.
Roadside” means a general term denoting the area adjoining the outer edge of the roadway. Extensive areas between the roadways of a divided highway may also be considered roadside.
Roadway” means in general, the portion of a highway, including shoulders, for vehicular use. A divided highway has two or more roadways. In construction specifications, the portion of a highway within the limits of construction.
Sacrificed life” means a reimbursable charge in the amount of the computed value of the unused life of a facility removed from private property and not functionally replaced.
Salvage” means the material removed and used or placed in storage for future use.
Salvage value” means the amount received from the sale of utility property that has been removed or the amount at which the recovered material is charged to the utility's accounts, if retained for reuse.
Scrap” means material that is not suitable for reuse and which is removed by the utility and sold, for which the State will receive proper credit.
Service connection” means a line from a utility's main distribution line to the premises served, sometimes privately owned.
“Single-pole construction” means use of single poles to support aerial facilities rather than double-pole arrangements such as H-frames.
Sleeve” means a short casing through pier or abutment of highway structure.
Standard construction details” means the DelDOT Standard Construction Details in effect on the date work commenced. The Details can be found at the following Web address: forms.html
Standard specifications” means the Standard Specifications for Road and Bridge Construction of DelDOT, in effect on the date work commenced. The Specifications can be found at the following Web address: forms.html
State” Department of Transportation, (DelDOT), means State of Delaware.
Test hole locating” means the locating, through the use of test holes, of underground utility facilities. The entire procedure includes surveying and providing data for the top and bottom of the located facility as well as the existing ground at the site; tying vertical controls to a minimum of the two checked bench marks or available datum; properly backfilling the test holes and restoring the pavement to an acceptable condition approved by the Department; and providing data on Department plans as may be required.
Total estimated service life of the replaced facility” means the sum of the period of actual use plus the period of expectant remaining life. In instances where such a facility is still in operation but fully depreciated on the utility accounts, there shall be a mutual determination by the interested parties to establish the expected remaining life of the replaced facility.
Traveled way (or travelway)” means the portion of the roadway for the movement of vehicles, exclusive of shoulders and auxiliary lanes.
Use and occupancy agreement” means the document (written agreement or permit) by which the Department approves the use and occupancy of highway right-of-way by utility facilities or private lines.
Utility coordinator” means the person who coordinates the relocation or adjustment of all utilities between the utility and the Department. of Transportation, State of Delaware.
Utilities engineer” means the Engineer and authorized Representative of the Chief Engineer responsible for utility coordination work performed within DelDOT Transportation Solutions, Engineering Support.
Utilities section” means the unit within DelDOT Transportation Solutions, Engineering Support responsible for matters concerning utilities under the direction of the Utilities Engineer.
Utility clearance” means the arrangements by the utilities to accommodate the highway construction project. It does not indicate that the utility facilities are actually removed from the area but that facilities have been either adjusted to accommodate construction or that arrangements have been made to coordinate the relocation work with the highway contractor's operations.
Utility construction permit” means a permit that authorizes a utility to construct, maintain, or repair a utility facility within State rights of way.
Utility design meetings” means utility-DelDOT meetings held to discuss utility relocations on specific highway construction projects. Usually, two such meetings are held on each project, the initial meeting to discuss probable relocation schemes and the final meeting to review relocations for inclusion in the highway plans.
Utility plans, specifications and estimate (Utility PS&E)” means the detailed relocation cost estimate, prepared by the utility, consisting of highway plan sheets marked to show the relocation and any additional utility drawings or supplemental sheets that are necessary to provide a clear picture of the work to be performed and how the estimated costs were determined.
Utility statement” means a synopsis of utility relocation work and its anticipated schedule that is incorporated in the bid package upon approval by the Department. (See Section 5.1.4)
Verification of facilities” means the furnishing of information by the utility to verify the type, size, and location of facilities for the mutual benefit of both parties. It is intended that this may be accomplished at nominal cost to the utility, e.g., through maps, records, etc.
Work order system” means a procedure for accumulating and recording into separate accounts of a utility all costs to the utility in connection with any change in its system or plant.
3.1.1 Permit Maintenance and New Service Installation Work. This work usually encompasses the maintenance of existing utility facilities or the installation of new services or utility distribution facilities. The appropriate District Public Works staff issues the permits and inspects the work.
Temporary traffic control for project design work is coordinated with the highway contractor, the highway construction project supervisor and the Construction District to ensure proper safety standards are employed.
3.2 Highway Safety And Temporary Traffic Control. The Department considers highway safety a high priority that is an essential and indispensable component of every project from planning through the design and construction phases. Therefore, companies that install, maintain, service, operate, or otherwise work upon utilities within highway rights-of-way are always obligated to consider the safety of the general public. This includes providing appropriate temporary traffic control within work areas.
3.2.1 Temporary Traffic Control All temporary traffic control shall conform to the requirements specified in the most current DelDOT manual Traffic Controls for Streets and Highways Construction, Maintenance, and Utility Operations ("Traffic Control Manual") Delaware Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (DE MUTCD) Standards and Specifications, including all supplemental specifications, and any other applicable State and federal regulations. A traffic control plan, referencing the Traffic Control Manual DE MUTCD Part 6 Temporary Traffic Control, must be submitted and approved whenever a permit is required. Failure by a utility to provide for the safe movement of traffic, safety including vehicular, bicycle and pedestrian traffic, will be cause for immediate suspension of operations. The work will not be allowed to continue until the District is satisfied that proper temporary traffic control is established. If there are any discrepancies between the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and the Traffic Control Manual, the DelDOT Safety Section shall be contacted for clarification. In all questions of interpretations of the DE MUTCD and the Traffic Control Manual, the judgment of the Chief Traffic Engineer, or designee shall be final. The protection prescribed for each situation shall be based on the speed and volume of traffic, duration of operation, various modes of traffic and exposure to hazards. The term "street" refers to all the streets in any municipality, including cities, towns, villages, or other local jurisdictions.
3.2.2 Temporary Traffic Control And Safety References Title 17 of the Delaware Code provides for the establishment of traffic control and safety standards to be observed during utility construction and maintenance operations on or adjoining any public highway, road, or street. Public and private utilities, contractors under contract with utility companies, and all others engaged in utility construction and maintenance are required to comply with these standards. The Traffic Control Manual DE MUTCD explains in detail the principles and requirements of temporary traffic control and safety standards. It covers temporary traffic control procedures, responsibilities of involved parties, required training for personnel, and descriptions of approved control devices. Responsible utility officials are strongly encouraged to obtain the Traffic Control Manual DE MUTCD, study its contents, and make copies available to their field supervisors. The Traffic Control Manual DE MUTCD can be found online at The standards are to be implemented through the training and supervision of utility employees. Failure to meet standards will result in stoppage of work until deficiencies are brought into compliance. All workers within state right of way shall have high visibility safety apparel that meets ANSI 107-2004 or better standard requirements. This apparel will meet the standard performance for Class 2 risk exposure. The apparel background material color shall be fluorescent yellow-green as defined in the standard. The reflective material shall be either orange, yellow, white, silver, yellow-green, or a fluorescent version of these colors, and shall be visible at a minimum distance of 1000'. Flaggers shall wear safety apparel that meets or exceeds the performance for Class 3 risk exposure. For nighttime work, apparel meeting standard performance for Class 3 risk exposure is recommended.
3.2.3 Temporary Traffic Control Plan The temporary traffic control plan is an important aspect of the project. It shall be prepared by qualified individuals and understood by all affected parties before work begins. In preparing the temporary traffic control plan; the sample cases typical application in the Traffic Control Manual DE MUTCD shall be followed. The plan must be submitted or temporary traffic control case typical application identified when applying to the District Office for a construction permit. If utility officials need to veer from standard case studies typical applications, an ATSSA Certified Traffic Control Supervisor must submit changes to DelDOT Traffic Safety for approval prior to applying for the permit. The utility work shall not begin until the District approvals have been obtained and the approved permit information including temporary traffic control are is on the job site. Once the job has begun, the utility inspectors must ensure that the plan is followed throughout the project.
In the case of emergency work where there is no prior approval of a temporary traffic control plan; the utility is still required to follow the DelDOT Traffic Control Manual DE MUTCD.
The requirement for a utility temporary traffic control plan may be waived on construction projects when the utility adjustments are made simultaneously with the highway contractor's operations and the highway contractor provides the temporary traffic control. Under these circumstances, the utility and highway contractor must cooperate and coordinate their work so that neither is delayed by the other's operation. See Section
3.2.4 Flaggers and Temporary Traffic Control Certified flaggers are essential in controlling traffic when one lane is closed and motorists must alternately use the remaining lane. Other important assignments for flaggers are necessary in utility work, such as lane closures for equipment passage, the pulling of cable crossings, and the control of traffic speed. The Department has specific requirements for flagger warning signs, safety clothing, training, and associated flagger concerns, as described in the Traffic Control Manual DE MUTCD. Utility supervisors are expected to understand and abide by these requirements. Flaggers are required to be ATSSA certified, expected to be alert, and to know the correct way to stop traffic, slow it down, and keep it moving.
3.2.5 Inspection of Temporary Traffic Control. Routine inspections of temporary traffic control elements must be made to ensure acceptable levels of operation. Inspections will be performed by trained District personnel and shall be accomplished at a frequency corresponding to the magnitude of the: Other contributing factors. When a utility or utility contractor fails to follow the approved temporary traffic control plan, inspectors will suspend the work until the required temporary traffic control is in place. Failure to follow the temporary traffic control plan violates 21 Del.C. §4105 and is subject to punishment by law. Consider utility facility's ownership, operation, and maintenance methods for all facilities that it installs within the boundaries of the right-of-way as well as private underground services or other facilities. Consider future drainage. Future drainage requirements shall be considered when determining location of utility installations. Existing swales or ditches may need to be deepened. New drainage ditches may need to be constructed. New storm water drainage pipelines may need to be installed in the future.
3.3.23 Highways With Fully Controlled Access. Freeways and some expressways have full control of access. Full control of access to highways means that preference is given to through traffic by providing access connections only with selected public roads and by prohibiting at-grade crossings and direct private driveway connections. Delaware highways with full access control include: Crossing Of Freeway Right-of-way Utilities Along Freeways - Lateral Positioning Longitudinal installations of utilities will shall not be permitted within the denial-of-access lines of a freeway and other roads as determined by District Public Works. Frontage roads, where provided, may be used for placement of utilities with the approval of District Public Works Department. Utilities located outside the access lines cannot be serviced by entrance from through-traffic roadways or ramps. Utilities located on existing highway rights-of-way where the highway facility is being upgraded to a freeway must normally should be moved. Permission for such utilities to remain in place may be granted if all service can be made from outside the access control line. Utilities Along Roads Or Streets Highways Crossing Freeways. Where a utility follows a road or street highway that crosses a freeway, the utility shall cross the freeway on the location of the crossroad or street highway, and generally within its right-of-way. The utility must shall be serviced without access from the freeway. All work is subject to State and FHWA regulations in effect at the time. Overhead crossings are not desirable and shall be avoided as noted in Section
3.3.34 Partial-access-control Highways
On partial-access-control highways, preference is given to through traffic to a degree that, in addition to access connections with selected public roads, there may also be some other roads crossing at grade as well as some private driveway connections. Except for the types of highways listed under full access control in Section 3.3.1, most highways in Delaware have partial access control. Utilities Along Partial-access-control Highways - Lateral Positioning In considering an aboveground facility along a partial-access-control highway, the following constraints apply with respect to the location of the facilities. Any exceptions to these requirements can be submitted by the utility and will be considered by the Department.
Clear zone - Overhead utilities and appurtenances protruding greater than four inches, placed longitudinally on the State's right-of-way, will should be positioned outside of clear zones and as close to the right-of-way line as possible. If there are no feasible alternatives to be located outside the clear zone the overhead utility should make features and appurtenances breakaway including utility poles. If it is not feasible to locate outside the clearzone or make features breakaway the utility should look at placing the utility behind guardrail. All overhead features that are located within the clearzone shall be delineated.
Daylight corners, medians and traffic islands - Aboveground features-such as poles, guys, enclosures, etc.-shall not be placed in corner cuts ("daylight corners"), or medians or on traffic islands.
Slopes and Ditches - Poles, guys, stub poles, or other equipment will shall not be placed on front slopes, back slopes or at ditch bottoms. In considering an aboveground facility along a partial-access-control highways, the requirements below apply with respect to the design of the facilities. Any exceptions to these requirements can be submitted by the utility and will be considered by the Department.
Joint-use - Joint-use single-pole construction must shall be used at locations where more than one utility or type of facility is involved. This is most important at locations where the right-of-way widths approach the minimum required for safe operations or maintenance, or where separate installations may require extensive removal or alteration of trees. Exceptions will be made only in cases of hardship as determined by District Public Works the Department on a case-by-case basis. The pole owner should ensure that the pole is sized adequately to allow space for the joint use facilities.
Note: The holder of a franchise must not grant permission to another utility facility to jointly occupy its pole line without notifying the other facility of the Department's requirements. Utilities Along Highways - Vertical Positioning Overhead electric power and communications structures, lines and cables shall be installed in compliance with the latest edition of the National Electrical Safety Code. Existing lines and cables shall be maintained at minimum clearance of 23.5 feet above track rails of railroads and a minimum clearance of 18 feet above roads, streets, entrances and other areas subject to truck traffic. The above two clearances shall be maintained under all conditions, i.e. maximum conductor sag conditions (subject to terms of railroad permit requirements) and a minimum of 18 feet above all roadways-or in accordance with the codes described in Section 3.4, whichever is greater. The owner of utility facilities is responsible for moving them to eliminate any visual obstruction or interference to any traffic control device. This includes moving structures, overhead lines and cables, splice boxes, enclosures, and other appurtenances in order to provide adequate visibility of a traffic control device. Historic Sites, Scenic Areas, Parks, Etc.
3.3.45 Subdivisions Subdivision Streets Not Yet Accepted For State Maintenance
The Subdivision Developer Utility shall be responsible for submitting utility installation site plans to District Public Works for review and approval prior to commencement of street construction within the subdivision and prior to utility installation.
It is not necessary for a utility to obtain a construction permit in new subdivisions. The Utility shall contact to contact District Public Works to determine if a construction permit is required for work in new subdivisions. Upon completion and acceptance of the subdivision streets, the utilities that are located within the State right-of-way shall be franchised in accordance with the existing Annual Master Franchise for each utility. Utilities will be allowed within the right-of-way. Aboveground utilities must should be avoided if possible. If pole lines are to be used, they must shall be placed behind the clear zone. Where feasible, underground utilities shall be placed behind the proposed curb line or in an established utility easement. The main lines of underground utilities must be longitudinally located between the right-of-way line and the curb or edge of pavement-except for sanitary sewers that will be placed to avoid the wheel path when they cannot be located outside the roadway. If possible, sanitary sewers should avoid the crown of the roadway being located in the wheelpath. Sanitary Sewers manholes may be placed along the center of the roadway. Service lines may cross under the paved area to connect residences with main lines. Subdivision Streets Accepted For State Maintenance. Utility construction permits are required for existing subdivisions. Existing underground utilities will be permitted to remain in place in subdivisions with streets currently maintained by the Department. However, any utilities that are upgraded shall be located according to Section, provided there is enough right-of-way to place them behind curbs.
3.4.2 Permit Maintenance and New Service Installation The Utility shall submit a permit application to the District Public Works will for review a permit application for of new or existing utilities, maintenance work, repair work, upgrading poles, and re-construction, and some utility work in advance of highway construction. If acceptable, the District Public Works Section will approve the: The District will review and approve the temporary traffic control plan to ensure highway safety, including the safe and free flow of traffic.
Utilities are responsible for obtaining all required permits from municipal, State, and federal governmental agencies and railroads. It is the responsibility of the individual Utility to obtain all required permits on DelDOT construction projects in which the Utility is performing the relocation work. The Utility will not be responsible for obtaining a sedimentation and erosion permit when the utility work is within the contractor's limit of construction. Examples of these permits include, but are not limited to:
3.5.1 Positioning And Clearances. Vertical and horizontal clearances between utilities and utility clearances above roadways must conform to the utility codes cited in Section 3.4 and any other applicable industry codes and standards. The horizontal clearances placement of appurtenances will be in accordance with the clear zone and lateral offset requirements described in the DelDOT Road Design Manual, AASHTO Roadside Design Guide and A Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets (AASHTO's Green Book). Exceptions must have the approval of the District Public Works Section Department.
3.6.1 Underground Utilities Crossing Highways. Avoid utility crossings in deep cuts, near bridge and retaining wall footings, in wet or rocky terrain where it is difficult to obtain minimum cover, and at highway cross drains where flow of water, drift, or streambed load may be obstructed. The crossings shall also be avoided where it is difficult to attain minimum cover, and through paved or unpaved berm slopes under structures. See Section 3.3 for more information regarding crossings of freeways and partial-access-control highways. Refer to section 3.6.3 for more information regarding pipelines. Directional boring is the industry standard and the method accepted by the Department. Boring is defined as the operation by which large carriers or casings are jacked through oversize bores. The Directional boring process begins when a directional bore machine pushes a bore head connected to hollow pipe into the ground. The bores are carved progressively ahead of the leading edge of the advancing pipe as soil is mucked back through the pipe. Jacking is defined as the pushing of a sleeve or casing pipe under a highway to make an underground utility crossing without disturbing the roadbed by open trenching. The open cutting of a roadway for the purpose of working on or installing new underground facilities shall be avoided. DelDOT's policy is to avoid the Open cutting of any roadway should be avoided for at least five years after resurfacing or reconstruction, unless there is no alternative. Exceptions will be made only in cases of hardship as determined by the Department on a case-by-case basis. In the event open cutting is allowed, the utility must shall adhere strictly to the backfill and restoration requirements. The District Public Works Section Utility will specify fill material in the permit application for the Departments approval. Borrow type C can should be utilized however; Flowable Fill is recommended may be used for cross-road cuts. Flowable Fill may be required by the District Public Works Section. Flowable fill shall not be used around flexible pipes. Flowable fill may be used when stone is placed around the pipe and a foot above the pipe. Information regarding Flowable Fill from the Special Provisions can be found in Appendix F of this manual. Utilities may shall not cover open trenches with steel plates between October 31 November 1 and April 15. The District Public Works Section may grant exceptions.
3.6.3 Pipelines. All pipeline installations must shall conform to the applicable regulations pertaining to the type of installation being constructed. The Department considers vents, drains, markers, manholes, and shutoffs as parts of pipeline installations. Pipes located under expressways, arterials, and collectors shall have a service life of 75 years. Pipes located under local roads and entrance shall have a service life of 50 years. Pipeline crossings shall not be located in deep cuts, across cuts and fills, on steep slopes, near footings of bridges or retaining wall footings, across intersections at grade or ramp terminals, in wet or rocky terrain where it is difficult to obtain minimum cover, across drains where flows of water, drifts, or stream beds may be obstructed, or within basins of an underpass drained by a pump. Pipe, conduit, sewer, or other similar facility must shall not be placed inside any drainage pipe. Neither shall objects be placed across the ends of any drainage pipe or culvert so as to obstruct the full flow of water. Manholes shall not be located in the travel way of any full controlled access highways. Manholes are should not to be located in the traveled way of any expressway or public way for vehicular travel highway. The District Public Works Section may authorize exceptions only at locations where manholes are essential parts of existing lines that have been previously authorized to remain in place. Such installations shall avoid intersections. Manholes shall be designed and located so that they will not interfere with other utilities and planned highway expansion. Manholes are not to be located in the flow line of ditches, the centerline of the roadway, within the curb line, or the wheel path of traffic. All manholes must be flush with the finished grade. Refer to Section for information regarding Subdivisions. Pipeline Installation
Pipeline crossings are to be identified by permanent markers except when located within a subdivision.
Longitudinal - Pipelines in the highway right-of-way must be placed at least 24 42 inches below the finished surface. Lines crossing ditches must be placed at least 24 inches below the ditch flow line. The nearest edge of the trench is to be at least 5 feet from the edge of the traveled way or curb line, however, this distance can be reduced to 2 feet or greater should sufficient right-of-way be unavailable. Shoring must be placed where narrow right-of-way limits this minimum offset. The shoring will protect the curb line or traveled way during utility installation.
Section 1102, Title 26, Delaware Code stipulates that a distance of at least 3 feet shall be maintained between pipes carrying steam, heat, or power and pipes carrying gas or water, unless one is crossing the other. Where pipes are crossing one another, the minimum clearance must be at least 1 foot. Clearances of less than 1 foot require approval of the appropriate regulatory authority.
The horizontal separation between sanitary sewer lines and water mains must shall be at least 10 feet, or in compliance with American Water Works Association (AWWA) regulations. Where it is impossible to separate underground utilities horizontally the desired minimum, the water line and sanitary sewer line must shall be constructed of slip-on or mechanical-joint ductile iron, cast iron, pressure, or pre-stressed concrete cylinder pipe with the approval of the appropriate regulatory authority. Utility crossings of freeways, expressways, and other controlled access highways and at other locations where it is necessary to avoid trenched construction and prevent inconvenience to highway users; All crossings of existing or proposed arterial and collector roadways (partial-access-control roadways) shall be enclosed or cased. Arterial and collector roadways are identified on the DelDOT Functional Classification Maps. New uncased construction can be employed if approved by District Public Works for permit work or the Utilities Engineer for highway construction projects. The approval is acceptable when open cutting is approved, if necessary, Uncased construction may be approved when open cutting is necessary, and in the following circumstances: The carrier is approved by the Department and conforms to the material and design requirements of the utility industry, governmental codes and standards, can support the load of the highway plus loads superimposed thereon when the pipe is operated under all ranges of pressure from maximum internal to zero pressure. with a higher factor of safety such installations should employ a higher factor of safety in the design, construction, and testing than normally required for cased construction. Carriers meeting these requirements can be used for the following installations provided a profile is submitted along with the plans for the following types of installations: Natural Gas - utilities can employ welded steel pipe as an uncased carrier pipe with at least 42 inches of cover. All such pipes shall meet design requirements as outlined above. High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) is under evaluation as an uncased carrier. Water - The minimum requirements for waterline crossings shall be ductile iron pipe with an industry standard push joint and with at least 42 inches of cover. All such ductile iron pipes shall meet design requirements as outlined above. Other Transmittants: A Department approved uncased crossing of welded steel pipelines carrying a transmittant which is flammable, corrosive, expansive, or unstable materials, particularly if carried at high pressure, may be permitted, provided additional protective measures are taken in lieu of casing. Such measures would employ higher factor of safety in the design, construction, and testing of the uncased carrier pipe, including such features as thicker wall pipe, radiograph testing of welds, hydrostatic testing, coating and wrapping, and cathodic protection Suitable bridging, concrete slabs, or other appropriate measures shall be used to protect existing uncased pipelines which by reason of shallow cover or location make them vulnerable to damage from highway construction or maintenance operations. Any exceptions (aside from those mentioned in Section to the casing requirements shall be determined by the District Public Works Section Department, based upon a written request for the exception stating the hardship and proposed method of crossing. In requesting exceptions, the utility shall consider the Department's policy of no open cutting of a roadway within 5 years after it has been resurfaced, except for an emergency. In addition, there shall be no open cutting for service lateral crossings. Utilities shall also consider those areas where repairs would be restricted by lack of rights-of-way or easements. Where casings are required, the location of the crossings must shall be determined carefully so that, if necessary, the utility can acquire sufficient right-of-way or private easements to remove or replace the utilities. Casings shall extend at least 5 feet beyond the curb, pavement, projected fill slopes, or ditch lines to assure proper support of roadways during any repairs to pipelines. For all access-controlled highways, the encasement casing shall extend from right-of-way line to right-of way line or outside outer curbs. The design shall encompass allowance for future widening of the highway without the need of utility adjustment. Volatile Hazardous Transmittant. The casings for facilities transmitting volatile hazardous materials must shall be of steel pipe of standard manufacture. The joints must shall be welded or fused sealed around the entire circumference of the pipe as industry standards and regulations allow. Non-Volatile Hazardous Transmittant. The casings for facilities transmitting non-volatile hazardous materials may be of standard material such as steel pipe. Other usable materials must shall be of a design to sustain the live and dead loads currently used in Delaware highway design. Such materials include reinforced concrete pipe, cast iron pipe, aluminum pipe HDPE pipe, PVCPW and ductile iron pipe. Casings located under expressways, arterials, and collectors shall have a service life of 75 years. Casings located under local roads and entrance shall have a service life of 50 years. All pipeline installations must shall conform to the applicable regulations pertaining to the type of installation being constructed. When a pipeline casing is placed under a roadway, all installations are to be made by jacking, push-augering, or other approved methods. If coated pipe is used for jacking or boring, the same pipe should not be used as a carrier pipe. A typical layout for jacking through a roadway is shown in Figure 2-1. Appropriate traffic control measures shall be used in accordance with DelDOT's Traffic Control Manual DE MUTCD due to the reduction in shoulder use by the traveling public caused by jacking operations. Non-Metallic Pipe. Installations of non-metallic pipe must shall include a tracer material that is detectable by locating devices that are acceptable within the industry. Coated steel tracer wire is the preferred material. Metal tape shall not be considered. Sealing of Casing. Casing pipe over 4 inches in diameter must should be sealed at the ends with a flexible material to prevent flowing water and debris from entering the annular space between the casing and the carrier. Where carrier pipes that carry combustibles hazardous materials are cased, the casing pipes must shall be provided with a screened vent on each end that is as near as feasible to the right-of-way boundaries. Vents. Where carrier pipes that carry combustibles are cased, the casing pipes must shall be provided with a screened vent on each end that is as near as feasible to the right-of-way boundaries. Other requirements are as follows: The requirements discussed earlier in this chapter describing installations and maintenance of pipelines crossing highway rights-of-way as related to casings, markers, and installations must shall also be applied to underground electric, CATV, and communications lines two inches or larger greater than two inches. The minimum depth of cover for these cased crossings is 42". Greater cover may be required depending on the construction of the roadway. Where a conduit or casing is placed under an existing roadway, all installations must shall be made by jacking, push-augering, directional bore or other approved methods. The casing must shall have a minimum nominal diameter of 2 inches and is to be placed a minimum of 24 42 inches below the surface. The utilities must shall also conform to the National Electric Safety Code and any other utility codes cited in Section 3.4. Utilities may be required to install facilities deeper on a case by case basis depending upon the construction of the roadway. Where the burying of cable is permitted along the edge of pavement, it may be done by plowing or trenching methods. The nearest edge of the trench must shall be at least 5 feet from the edge of the pavement, however, this distance can be reduced to 2 feet or greater should sufficient right-of-way be unavailable. The minimum depth of bury for CATV, communications, and electric is 24 42 inches, however, these utilities must shall also conform to the National Electric Safety Code and any other applicable regulations. New attachments of utility facilities such as water, gas, sanitary sewer mains and electrical facilities will shall not be allowed on new structures. Communications and other telecommunications will not be permitted unless an extreme hardship can be proven. If a utility believes there is no feasible alternative, it must shall submit a written request to the district. In the request, the utility must shall include the proposed cost of the installation, describe other alternatives, and detail the associated costs of those alternatives. The District Public Works Section, Bridge Design Engineer, and Utilities Engineer will use the information in making a decision. The request is also subject to the approval of the Assistant Director, Bridge Design and Chief Engineer. Where utility attachments are requested, they will be considered only if the structure in question is of a design that is adequate to support the additional load and to accommodate the utility facility without compromise of highway features, including reasonable ease of bridge maintenance. In all cases, gas lines or pipelines carrying explosive, corrosive, or flammable fluids must shall follow all applicable Federal and State codes. In extreme hardship cases, the utility shall submit to the Utilities Section Engineer a written request to attach its facility to a structure owned and maintained by DelDOT. The request shall include the following items: Calculations performed by a Delaware registered professional engineer to demonstrate the structural impact on the existing structure. All hazardous impacts must shall be addressed-magnetic fields, protection against electrocution, etc.
3.7.3 New Construction. If the Department approves the attachment, the utility must shall agree to having the facility installed by the Department's contractor at the price assigned to this bid item within the Department's construction project bid, at the utility's expense. The utility shall reimburse the Department in accordance with the terms of an agreement outlining the conditions of bridge occupancy. Existing utilities must shall be relocated off the structure if the Department's project requires either temporary or permanent relocation. The utility must shall consult the Department District Public Works on its choice of contractor, and have the Department's District Public Work's consent. The utility, by agreement, shall pay for Department inspection, and the Department shall have an inspector on site during the construction. All utility facilities attached to structures shall be housed in casing pipes, meeting the requirements of section to allow for insertion and extraction of the carrier facility. No manholes, handholes, or splice boxes shall be are constructed in bridge decks. Where tree removal is permitted, stumps must shall be removed, and the resulting holes shall be properly backfilled to allow for settlement in accordance with the DelDOT Standard Specifications. The Department has adopted the latest version of the ANSI Standard A300 (Part 1) - 2001 entitled Tree Care Operations - Tree, Shrub and Other Woody Plant Maintenance - Standard Practices. The Landscaping and Reforestation Act Implementation (located in Section 2 of the DelDOT Road Design Manual) also provides guidelines for tree protection and maintenance during road construction projects. For all future transportation projects and maintenance activities on existing highway alignments, trees must shall be replaced in accordance with the Department's Landscaping and Reforestation Act Implementation located in Section 2 of the DelDOT Road Design Manual. Each employee or agent of the Department who participates in the planning, design, and construction of projects and normal maintenance of the roadways should be aware of the aesthetic and environmental effect that natural vegetation provides. Every effort must shall be made to preserve the beauty of Delaware's roads. However, each employee or agent must shall also be aware of the danger posed by hazards left along the roadside. The AASHTO Roadside Design Guide should be used as reference. The traveling public has the right to expect a reasonably safe road and roadside area when faced with potential dangers such as blowouts, evasions of other vehicles or animals, adverse weather conditions, and other uncontrollable situations.
Care shall also be taken in utility installations to avoid disturbing existing highway or private drainage facilities or sprinkler systems. Any damage to the facilities by the utility company or its subcontractors shall be repaired at the utility company's expense. Damage to highway traveled ways, shoulders, and drainage features caused by utility installations or repairs must shall be immediately restored to their original condition as stated in the Delaware Code unless conditions warrant a temporary patch. If utilities have not completed restoration within 30 days, noncompliance regulations will take effect. Temporary patches from winter months shall be permanently restored by May 15 before noncompliance action will be taken. Damage to roadside areas in the right-of-way shall be repaired as soon as possible, or as specified by the District Public Works Section. Restoration is also necessary when utilities are working on active construction sites. The District Public Works Section Construction Engineer will determine any necessary repairs. For permit work, the roadway shall be immediately restored with at least Type B asphalt pavement materials even with the surface of the roadway. The contractor shall come back within 30 days, or as directed by the Public Works Engineer, and mill two inches down and inlay with Type C asphalt pavement material. The utilities shall restore the damaged areas to a condition at least equivalent to that which or better than what existed prior to the utility work. In all cases, the District Public Works Section will determine the extent of restoration required. All such work will be done at the utility's expense and in accordance with the appropriate Standard Specifications. The Seeding specification is located in Section 734 of the Standard Specifications. Traveled Way. To maintain traffic, not more than one lane of traffic shall be closed at a time whenever a traveled way is cut. All cross-road cuts for utilities will be made perpendicular to the longitudinal centerline of the traveled way, and perpendicular to the plane of the finished subgrade. All patches must shall have a minimum length of 6 feet (as measured along the roadway centerline) and the width of the lane or lanes disturbed. Any lane encroachment of one foot or more requires restoration of the full lane width. Before reopening the section, the area shall be made usable for traffic. DelDOT Standard Construction Detail P-2 illustrates cross-road cuts. Flowable Fill is recommended can be used for restoration of cross-road cuts although Borrow Type C can be utilized. Flowable fill shall meet the requirements of Special Provision 208500 as shown in Appendix F. Flowable fill shall not be used around flexible pipes. Flowable fill may be used when stone is placed around the pipe and a foot above the pipe. The District Public Works Section may require permit the use of flowable fill. Temporary Patches If immediate repairs to the traveled way are not feasible and if the District Public Works Section concurs a temporary patch may be used until permanent repairs are completed. Figure 2-3 shows the minimum design requirements for temporary patches: at least 8 inches of compacted graded aggregate overlaid by at least 2 inches of Superpave Type C 160 Gyration, PG 64-22 Type C asphalt pavement material. When weather conditions prohibit the use of such mix, District Public Works can approve 10 inches of compacted graded aggregate overlaid by at least 2 inches of cold patch mix. Figure 2-3 also illustrates trench width and backfill layer requirements. Backfill shall be placed and compacted in successive layers. Trench widths vary, but should not be less than 23 feet plus the outside diameter of the pipe. Pipe shall be placed on an earth cushion per detail. Each backfill layer is to be placed in a level, uniform cross section not exceeding 8 inches in loose depth, and then compacted with a mechanical tamper according to the Standard Specifications Division 200 regarding Earthwork. Surface Treatments and Hot Mix Asphalt Pavement Materials Figure 2-4 illustrates the details of permanent cross-road or longitudinal utility patches for surface-treated or hot mix asphalt pavement roads and shoulders. Note that this is a minimum patch. If the existing roadway has a heavier thicker cross section than indicated in Figure 2-4, it will be replaced with the same cross section or as directed by the District Public Works Section. Portland Cement Concrete Pavements Portland cement concrete (PCC) streets and roads must shall be patched as described in Section 503-"Patching Portland Cement Concrete Pavement"-of the Standard Specifications. The details are shown in the DelDOT's Standard Construction Detail P-2 for PCC Pavement Patching. Temporary patches are discouraged in PCC pavements in favor of plating the opening and returning the next day to pour permanent ones. If a temporary patch is to be used, it will require the same cross section as shown in Figure 2-3 (8 inches graded). Other details of utility patches in PCC pavements are shown in Standard No. P2 of DelDOT's Standard Construction Details. Hot Mix Asphalt pavement overlays on PCC pavements. Utility patches made in PCC pavements with hot mix asphalt pavement overlays shall comply with the current Standard Specifications and gain approval of the District Public Works Section. The patch layout is illustrated in Standard No. P2 of DelDOT's Standard Construction Details. Roadsides Damage to roadside areas in the right of way shall be repaired as soon as possible to conditions at least equivalent to those existing prior to utility work. The restoration of roadside areas is concerned mainly with trenching and backfilling requirements. First, excavation widths will vary depending on the type of utility being placed. All areas disturbed in the right-of-way shall be restored to conditions at least equivalent to those existing prior to construction to or utility work. The restoration should occur as soon the work is completed. For projects that are longitudinal the restoration should occur in order with installation. Areas not restored within 30 days of disturbance will be considered non-compliant. Trenches for pipe (other than rectangular or square conduit) with an outside diameter of 6 inches or more must shall be cut 23 feet wider than the outside diameter of the pipe. The pipe will then be placed in the trench with an 1-foot 18 inch clearance on each side. Pipe shall be placed on earth cushion per detail. Trenches are to be backfilled or covered immediately after installation of the utility facility. They cannot be left open overnight because they pose a hazard to the public. Authorization to use steel plates at any time other than April 15 through October 31 must shall be obtained from the District Public Works Section. Acceptable material must shall be used to backfill trenches. It shall be placed in 8-inch layers (loose measurement) and thoroughly compacted-just as for trenches in pavement areas. The backfill material and compaction method must shall meet the requirements of the Standard Specifications. Excavated material that is not satisfactory for backfill meeting the requirements for backfill shall be removed from the area immediately after excavation. Material that is satisfactory for backfill must shall be stockpiled in a safe and orderly manner-preferably not stored on the roadway. District Public Works can approve storage on the roadway if necessary. Material stockpiled in the immediate work area must shall not pose a hazard to the traveling public. All materials shall be stockpiled in accordance with the rules established by the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (DE MUTCD). Manholes And Valve Boxes During construction, areas around manhole lids and valve boxes must shall be dug by a non-destructive method. The details of proper roadway patching around manhole lids are shown in Figure 2-5. When possible, test holes are to be dug by a nondestructive method-such as by vacuum removal in a hole less than 244 225 square inches. The repair shall be only the size of the hole. The fill shall be compacted in lifts, and the same amount of stone, hot mix asphalt pavement materials, concrete, etc.- as the existing roadway - shall be replaced. Highway Construction Projects The restoration requirements defined in this chapter apply to the placement of utilities on existing roadways and rights-of-way. Where utility relocations and adjustments are made in conjunction with a highway improvement project, some portions of the restoration by the utilities may be unnecessary. For example, full restoration is unnecessary when the area will be repaved as a part of the highway improvement. Under these circumstances, appropriate portions of the restoration requirements may be waived.
“Letter agreement”. A letter agreement is a legal instrument between a utility and the Department to establish the utility work in conjunction with a DelDOT highway construction project that the Department has determined to be reimbursable. It describes the terms and conditions-in accordance with the State code-by which the work and subsequent payment will be handled. An executed letter agreement is required prior to the performance of any work that is to be reimbursed. See Chapter 4 for further discussion.
“Public utility annual master franchise”. The Public Utility Annual Master Franchise is a legal instrument that grants the use of highway rights-of-way. It authorizes a public utility to place its facilities within State rights-of-way without any vested interest therein (under the provisions of Title 17 of the Delaware Code). A franchise does not serve as a control instrument over construction methods, traffic control features, or timing as opposed to a permit, which does. The only type of franchise accepted by the Department is the Public Utility Annual Master Franchise established October of 2004. The Master Franchise eliminated the need for a public utility to apply for a franchise each time a new utility installation was to be located within State right-of-way. The public utility applies for a Master Franchise for each County where it owns facilities within the State right-of-way. The executed Master Franchise remains in force for a period of 50 years and automatically renews annually for another a 50 years renewal term unless otherwise agreed to by the parties.
“Use and occupancy agreement”. This agreement is between the Department and an individual or entity for a privately owned facility that crosses a State-maintained road. It provides the Department with information about the crossing and sets forth the conditions for it. This agreement may also be used for privately or individually owned facilities to be located on State rights-of-way.
“Utility construction permit”. A Utility Construction Permit authorizes a utility to construct, maintain, or repair a utility facility within State rights-of-way. The highway is under the control of District Public Works, and a Utility Construction Permit is used to secure the District Public Works Section's approval of the details controlling construction activities. A Master Franchise is required if a public utility locates facilities on State right-of-way. A public utility must shall submit a franchise application for each County where its facilities are located within the State rights-of-way.
4.2.2 Conditions. The Master Franchise requires that all facilities to be constructed must shall meet the requirements set forth in this manual for locations, construction, construction methods, timing, etc.
4.2.4 Processing. The appropriate Utility Coordinator Engineer reviews the Master Franchise forms for accuracy and completeness. If satisfactory, DelDOT Deputy Attorney General, Assistant Director of Engineering Support, and the Director of Technology and Support Services will execute the agreement and affix the Departmental seal. An original will be returned to the utility, one is forwarded to the DelDOT Director of Technology and Support Services, and one is retained in the Utilities Section. A copy of the Master Franchise will be forwarded to the appropriate District.
4.2.5 Renewals. Each Master Franchise remains in effect for 50 years from the date of execution by the Department. The Master Franchise shall automatically renew annually for another for a 50 years term unless otherwise agreed to by the parties. There is no need to file the franchise application annually. Only in exceptional cases are utilities granted a Utility Construction Permit to cross freeway right-of-way on new locations, and rarely are they shall not be permitted to run longitudinally on freeway right-of-way within the denial of access. The application must shall address the following:
4.3.3 Preparation. A Use and Occupancy Agreement must shall be prepared by the owner, in triplicate, for each installation where a facility is placed on a State-maintained roadway.
A Utility Construction Permit form (Appendix B) must shall be completed for all utility construction not performed in conjunction with a DelDOT construction project. A Utility Construction Permit is required if utility work is done in advance of Notice to Proceed to the State Contractor the construction project where DelDOT Construction has not yet been assigned. The permit is used to secure the District Public Works Section's approval of the details controlling construction activities. An executed Public Utility Annual Master Franchise shall be on file prior to submission of a construction permit application for Public Utilities. A privately owned facility must shall have a Utility Construction Permit and a Use and Occupancy Agreement before any type of installation, repairs or relocation.
Usually, four sketches or plans must shall be attached to the construction permit application upon submittal. However, it is best to contact the District to see if there have been any changes to the requirements. This will not required if the District determines that a verbal description of the work and location is adequate to locate the construction. Restoration of emergency work, test holes, manhole repair work, cathodic protection, box repair work, and valve box repair work do not require a sketch or plan.
Permits for Public Utilities will be issued only if a Master Franchise is in force. Private owners of facilities must shall have a Use and Occupancy Agreement along with a permit. The new permit request must shall show the existing and proposed installation.
A utility that performs work on the State right-of-way longer than one working day to repair or adjust an existing facility-or that disturbs the roadway must shall have a construction permit. If the work takes less than one day, and does not disturb the roadway, a permit is not required. However, the utility must shall notify the District Public Works Office of any lane closure on any roadway outside of a subdivision before starting work. The notification must shall include the location and type of work to be performed.
In an emergency, the utility must shall promptly notify the District Public Works Office. The utility is responsible for communicating the type of emergency and location of the work to be performed and other pertinent information. The utility must shall submit a construction permit to the District Public Works Office as soon as possible. In case of an emergency during normal business hours, call the District Public Works numbers listed in Section 4.4.1. After normal business hours, please call: In addition, all sketches for pressure pipeline installations must shall specify the class of transmittant, the maximum working pressure, the maximum design pressures, and the design standards for the carrier. When a Utility Construction Permit is needed after a DelDOT highway contract has been awarded, the utility must shall obtain written permission from the DelDOT contractor to work in the project area. This policy includes any utility work not caused by the construction or improvement of a highway. For an exception to be made, the utility must shall have written permission from DelDOT to perform such work. To give this written permission, DelDOT must shall first obtain a satisfactory waiver, release, and quit claim from the State's contractor. It must shall cover all damages and all defenses whatsoever for delays caused by the utility work. If a dispute arises or the contractor will not provide the appropriate document, then the District Public Works Section has the option of setting a time frame in which the utility may work.
4.5.1 A public utility must shall not start construction of a new installation, repairs, or relocation until a Utility Construction Permit has been issued and a Master Franchise is in force. A privately owned facility must shall have a Utility Construction Permit and a Use and Occupancy Agreement before any type of installation, repairs or relocation.
4.5.2 The District Public Works office must shall be notified at least one working day before the start of construction. (Notification may be given in writing, orally, or by fax.) The information transmitted must shall include the starting date, road number, and permit number. Refer to Section 4.4.3 for further details including emergency situations.
4.5.4 The utility company or its contractor must shall have a responsible representative at the job site at all times to supervise the work. Information on the Utility Construction Permit must shall be available to this responsible representative.
4.5.6 Utilities must shall notify "Miss Utility" at least two working days before starting work. A "working day" shall mean every day, except Saturday, Sunday and state, federal and recognized operator holidays. The State will notify the utility, in writing, of the noncompliance. The State may also impose such actions, as it may deem appropriate, including an immediate stop work order until the utility complies. Consistent with applicable law, the State may impose such reasonable sanctions as it may deem appropriate for non-compliance. For examples and not by way of limitation, the State may impose lesser sanctions such as not issuing new permits to the Utility; or issue the immediate stop work order on any active utility construction within the State right-of-way until the Utility complies. The utility must shall correct the noncompliance within 30 days after receiving written notice from the State. If the noncompliance has a direct effect on public safety or impedes the flow of traffic the Utility shall begin to take actions to address the noncompliance within three hours of being notified of the noncompliance.
Existing utilities along highways that are to be reconstructed may sometimes be allowed to remain in place, however they usually must will need to be adjusted or relocated to accommodate the construction work and the reconstructed highway.
Utility facilities must shall not be in the way of the reconstruction work in order to remain in place. In addition, their future maintenance must shall not create a hazard for the traveling public. The Utilities Engineer shall determine whether they may remain in place.
In general, utilities are not reimbursed by the State for the cost of adjusting or relocating their facilities. In accordance with Section 143, Title 17, Delaware Code, however, some work is reimbursable. Both cases are discussed in this chapter.
In the concept phase, the Department Project Manager is responsible for defining the limits of the right-of-way project necessary to construct, operate, maintain the highway and plan for utility relocation. To minimize design time and avoid costly revisions, the Project Manager shall consult with the Utilities Section early in the design process. The Project Manager collaborates with the assigned Utility Coordinator to determine potential utility impacts. The Project Manager and Utility Coordinator shall determine the extent and timing of utility designation.
5.1.2 Survey Plans. The Project Manager will provide two sets of survey plans per utility or provide electronic survey plans as requested to the Utility Coordinator for distribution to each utility company. The utility will identify its existing and known abandoned facilities on the plans, indicating whether they are aerial, surface, or buried underground. The utility will also include information indicating:
The utility company must shall return the information to the Utilities Section within 30 days of receipt unless a later date is agreed upon by the Project Manager and the utility representatives. The Project Manager shall prepare preliminary plans showing the proposed alignment, typical sections, profile, schematic drainage alignment, existing right-of-way, proposed right-of-way, easements, clear zone, test hole data on cross-sections (if obtained), existing utility facilities from the survey data, and other details. The American Society of Civil Engineers Standard Guideline for the Collection and Depiction of Existing Subsurface Utility Data CI/ASCE 38-02 standards shall be followed for the classification and depiction of subsurface utility data. The Project Manager will provide the Utilities Coordinator with two sets of preliminary plans or provide electronic as requested to distribute to each utility involved in the project. If current, the utility information on the previously marked Survey plans will be shown on the preliminary plans.
The Project Manager, in coordination with the Utility Coordinator and the utility company's representative, will review the preliminary plans for potential conflicts with existing utilities, and will determine which conflicts cannot be avoided. Any proposed signage or street lighting to be done in conjunction with the project shall also be reviewed and coordinated. If power lines must shall be relocated, the Project Manager shall coordinate the lighting needs, street lighting, signalization, traffic coordination installations, Traffic Impact Study (TIS) recommendations, etc. with the power company. DelDOT should apply for any necessary electric service from the utilities at this stage. If feasible, the utility poles may serve as light standards as well as carry the lines. Joint use agreements and location of DelDOT facilities shall be clarified as well.
The Utilities Engineer shall grant a notice to proceed for preliminary engineering upon Departmental authorization of funding. A notice to proceed must shall be issued before the utility begins preliminary engineering in order for the preliminary engineering costs to be considered reimbursable by the Department.
The Project Manager will give the assigned Utility Coordinator two sets of semifinal plans or provide electronic as requested to distribute to each utility involved in the project. Any unresolved conflicts with the proposed construction and the utility's proposed relocation scheme need to be resolved.
When the plans are completed and the project is advertised, one set of final plans will be forwarded to each utility involved in the project. The Construction Engineer shall issue the notice to proceed with the relocation of facilities at or following the Preconstruction meeting.
The Project Manager will give the assigned Utility Coordinator one set of final plans and final cross section, if prepared, to distribute to each utility involved in the project.
Section 143, Title 17, Delaware Code determines the policies governing expenses of utility adjustments, removals, and relocations. A copy of Section 143 is located in Appendix F. The most recent copy of the Delaware Code may be found at Online Delaware Code at
If the utility is the owner of the right-of-way in fee-or if the facility is located legally on private property-and this property is acquired by the State for the reconstruction of a highway or structure, the State will assume liability for the cost of altering, adjusting, or relocating the existing facilities. The utility must shall provide documentation in the form of a copy of the record from the Recorder of Deeds. The utility may request "prior rights" rather than compensation by the Department before the Department extinguishes the existing easement. Documentation must shall be completed by DelDOT Real Estate personnel and subsequently submitted to the Recorder of Deeds in the county in which said facilities are located. Special Circumstances - The Department may enter into an agreement with a nongovernmental public utility to reimburse for up to 50% for alterations or relocation if the facility is located within a highway right-of-way or public right-of-way by grant or franchise. The alteration or relocation must shall be necessitated by special circumstances with written approval from the Secretary of the Department of Transportation. A copy of the written determination of the Secretary shall be forwarded to the Public Service Commission for filing with the public records of the Commission.
In cases of Prior Rights, the Department must shall approve all documentation. A flowchart of The process is located described in Appendix K.
The Project Manager will furnish the Utilities Engineer with construction plans and cross-sections for review. When reimbursable work is involved, the plans shall be used by the utility to estimate the scope of the utility work to be done. Reimbursable work is described in Section 5.3. The utility shall submit the preliminary engineering (PE) estimate for any engineering required to design the alteration, adjustments and/or relocation. The Department Utilities Engineer may elect to waive a detailed cost estimate for preliminary engineering. A sample of the engineering estimate is located in Appendix C.
The PE estimate shall become part of the letter agreement mentioned above in Section When the PE estimate is approved, a notice to proceed will be provided to the utility to begin the design for the adjustments and/or relocations. The utility shall prepare the Utility Plans, Specifications and Estimate (Utility PS&E) for the relocation or adjustment and forward them to the Utilities Engineer for review.
Once the Utility PS&E package is reviewed and approved, it is forwarded to DelDOT Finance for funding authorization and approval. The Utilities Section must shall issue a notice to proceed before the utility can begin construction work. Any work performed prior to notice to proceed shall be at the sole expense of the utility.
As mutually agreed to by the Department and utility, preliminary engineering activities associated with utility relocation work may be done by an engineering consultant selected by the utility, with the approval of the Department. A utility must shall submit a letter to the Utilities Engineer requesting authorization to obtain a consultant to provide preliminary engineering services for utility relocations. The request shall state the type of work the consultant is expected to perform during the utility relocation for the project-i.e., prepare utility plans, specifications, estimates; inspect materials; and supervise work. The request shall meet the provisions established by federal procurement regulations of the U.S. DOT FHWA, and the applicable regulations of the Program Guide: Utility Relocation and Accommodation on Federal-Aid Highway Projects. Federal funds may participate in the cost of such services performed under existing written continuing contracts when it is demonstrated that such work is performed regularly for the utility in its own work and that the costs are reasonable.
When a consultant is to prepare the Utility Plans, Specifications and Estimates, the utility must shall provide the DelDOT Utilities Engineer with preliminary plans, estimates, and a fee schedule from the consultant for performing the work. (The utility is required to review and approve the data before submitting it to the Utilities Engineer.) After Departmental review, the information may be forwarded to FHWA for concurrence.
a detailed estimate of the work to be performed. See Appendix C for sample. Note: Other colors can be used provided they are legible and clearly labeled in the legend.
The utility work on Department projects most often occurs simultaneously with the contractor's work and thus requires coordination. When this coordination is via a project utility meeting, a utility representative is required to attend. The utility and the contractor shall cooperate in scheduling work so that neither one is delayed by the other's operations. In addition, all traffic control for utility work must shall be performed according to DelDOT's Traffic Control Manual (Traffic Controls for Streets and Highways Construction, Maintenance, and Utility Operations) DE MUTCD and coordinated with the immediate DelDOT project supervisor. This will be done to avoid conflicts and unnecessary disruptions in traffic flows through construction projects.
The utility may should submit progress billings for costs incurred after the executed utility agreement has been approved and notice to proceed has been received. The utility may should also submit progress billings for the cost of materials stockpiled at the project site or specifically purchased and delivered to the utility for use on the project following similar approval. Any materials purchased or work performed prior to written authorization from the Utilities Engineer shall be done at the Company's sole expense. All invoices shall conform to the provisions of the Federal-Aid Policy Guide (FAPG): Code of Federal Regulations, Title 23, Part 645. Final Bill From Utility. A final and complete billing of all costs incurred will be made by the utility within six months from the last chargeable day of the project or from the date the Utility was notified the project was cancelled in compliance with the executed agreement. The statement of billing must shall follow the order of the items in the Utility PS&E identified as part of the executed letter of the agreement between the State and the utility. The statement shall be itemized to show:
Last Updated: December 31 1969 19:00:00.
site map   |   about this site   |    contact us   |    translate   |