Division of Social Services

Statutory Authority: 31 Delaware Code, Section 512 (31 Del.C. §512)


Child Care Subsidy Program; 11006.6 Complaints

In compliance with the State's Administrative Procedures Act (APA - Title 29, Chapter 101 of the Delaware Code) and under the authority of Title 31 of the Delaware Code, Chapter 5, Section 512, Delaware Health and Social Services (DHSS) / Division of Social Services is proposing to amend child care subsidy program policies in the Division of Social Services Manual (DSSM).

Any person who wishes to make written suggestions, compilations of data, testimony, briefs or other written materials concerning the proposed new regulations must submit same to Sharon L. Summers, Policy, Program and Development Unit, Division of Social Services, 1901 North DuPont Highway, P.O. Box 906, New Castle, Delaware 19720-0906 or by fax to (302) 255-4425 (new fax number) by April 30, 2007.

The action concerning the determination of whether to adopt the proposed regulation will be based upon the results of Department and Division staff analysis and the consideration of the comments and written materials filed by other interested persons.


Statutory Authority

• The Child Care and Development Block Grant (part of Categories 31 and 41) as amended by the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA) of 1996; and,

• Title XX of the Social Security Act.

Summary of Proposed Change

DSSM 11006.6, Complaints is revised to clarify the complaint process for the child care program. This revision also adds the requirement to send a copy of the complaint to the Child Care Monitor.



11006.6 Complaints

Client Complaints

Clients are informed as to how they may make a complaint when they believe a facility is not meeting the licensing regulations or the provisions of the DSS contract. When a client makes a complaint to a Case Manager, the Case Manager will complete a Client Provider Complaint Information Form (Form 633). and forward it Forward the complaint to the Office of Child Care Licensing or with a copy to the Child Care Monitor for action. Licensing will send results of the investigation to the Child Care Administrator.

Provider Complaints

Providers may make complaints regarding clients should be forwarded to the Food Stamp Employment & Training Case Manager. The complaint should be in writing.

Provider complaints regarding the system must conform to the Miscellaneous Conditions section of the Day Care Contract.

Send provider complaints regarding DSS provider contracts or payments process to the Child Care Administrator.

10 DE Reg. 1522 (04/01/07) (Proposed)